Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Useless Super-Power OR Disney Makes You Want to Fall In Love

Why is it that whenever I look at a clock, the time is an even number? With the possible exception of my always catching 11:11 (which adds up to an even number anyways) I always catch those nice, even numbers. Like now, for instance! 3:40 a.m.

How was everyone's St. Patrick's Day? I'm hoping it was, at the very least, a step above the usual day! While I did manage to get some celebrating in, (in the form of Guinness and Jameson) I came to an interesting realization. I don't own any green clothing! Repeated trips through my closet (and Narnia, which is conveniently hidden right behind it, making for excellent storage space!) yielded nothing! In fact, outside of red, gray, black and one instance of pink and purple, I don't own very many colours at all! I'm using this as a wonderful excuse to go shopping, it should be fun. My plan is a simple one, I'm going to seek out colours that I'd never normally wear and just go for it, regardless of how ridiculous I think I'll look. Pictures are sure to follow.

I caught a pin in my eye tonight, it wasn't very pleasant at all. I was using one to clean out the gaps between letters on my keyboard and somehow managed to spring it upwards, into my squishy, seeing-orb. Beyond momentary pain, a wounded ego and a good laugh at my own expense, no damage seems to be done. I guess I'm lucky when it comes to my misfortunes.

I've spent the last few hours cuddled up in bed watching Disney films and it's warming my heart. The evening started off with Fantasia, as I haven't watched the full movie in years. I used to be particularly terrified of the scenes involving Mickey Mouse and the moving brooms because the Master Wizard looked so sinister, and even worse, the Night on Bald Mountain scene! I've found a new appreciation for it, but that wizard still makes my skin crawl.

Anyways, I followed up that film with The Little Mermaid because I was in the mood for a timeless classic and it was the first one readily available. Is it just me or does watching the Kiss The Girl scene just never cease to melt your heart? I think this is the only movie in the world that can make me feel like I want to fall completely in love. I want to be someone's Prince Eric! Auditions for the Ariel role starting now!

Following that, I went into an extremely under-appreciated, forgotten gem: The Great Mouse Detective. This Disney parody of Sherlock Holmes is completely and utterly brilliant. I don't know why this one isn't as celebrated as it's many, many companions. I'm calling shenanigans on this.

Tomorrow night...or rather, should I be saying tonight? Either way, the Bloc Party show is in just over 12 hours and I am much more excited about it than I thought I would be. Frankly, Intimacy just didn't impress me as much as their previous works. When I first heard it, outside of a few tracks (Signs and Zephyr spring to mind) I thought it was forgettable at best. It's grown on me, though! Here's hoping the performance is as good.

Thursday night is the Underoath/Norma Jean concert. It feels really weird staring down a ticket to this show. Maybe that's just the nostalgia kicking in because I haven't been to a hardcore show in longer than I'd like to admit. Underoath, especially! Despite the fact that I'll undoubtedly be surrounded by a sea of 14 year olds in get-ups the rest of us had been rocking in 2004, I'm positive it's going to be a blast. If they play When the Sun Sleeps, I am going to lose my shit and call everyone from the Dawson Third Floor crew, mark my words.

See? I just did it again! It's 4:02 now. Talk about useless super-powers.

Right then, I'm going to end this here.


(But seriously, looking for an Ariel. I want Disney romance time.)

3 comments:

harlequin said...

i have red hair, so i'm up for ariel auditions.. cept i don't smell like fish. haha?

umm I've been dying to go to see underoath and Norma jean but i had the EXACT same thoughts on the whole "being surrounded by 14 year olds" and when i look back to when i had short black hair and only wore black hoodies, i shake my head in embarrassment. I can't believe it's this thursday! I thought I had so much more time to think about it. That, and to finding someone who either doesn't hate those bands or isn't "over" hardcore. Despite the fact that I haven't been to a hardcore show in 2 years easy, Underoath gets me every time. Their last album didn't really do it for me though. Thoughts?

I don't think I'm going to end up going.. and I don't think i'll feel too bad about it because I've seen them both at least 4 times.

p.s Prince Eric is the hottest walt disney prince!

Kristen said...

Um, whoa, Narnia is in your closet? That is sweet.

The only thing in my closet is Tom Cruise. Hahaha, I stole that joke...from when Conan O' Brien hosted the Emmys and...

Wow, you met PJ Phil though. Wow.

jav said...

Joanne: Seriously, have I ever told you that you're incredible? I can only imagine not smelling like fish helping you win the role. Prince Eric is by far the best of the Disney Princes in all regards.

I hate that it became "uncool" to listen to hardcore after all the time everyone put into that scene. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given how superficial everyone is, but what a shame! Personally, I'll always have a soft-spot in my heart for break-downs and two-step beats. I'm right there with you in regards to Underoath. They just strike a strange chord in me, I could never resist them. I've seen them more times than I can remember and yet I always want to go. Next time, we'll go together! It's settled. We'll be the oldest people in the building and it'll be awesome.

Uh, I think the latest album has it's moments. Certainly it's not nearly as memorable as their last few efforts (and nothing will ever come near They're Only Chasing Safety) but there are a few songs I can really get into. Desperate Times, Desperate Measures and the opening track in particular.

As for Norma Jean, well, Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste will always be my October Crisis song.


Kristen: Come visit? Narnia is useless without someone to share it with. Meeting PJ Phil was like reuniting with my childhood. He looks exactly the same. It was so unreal.